Allo' Expat Norway - Connecting Expats in Norway
Main Homepage
Allo' Expat Norway Logo

Subscribe to Allo' Expat Newsletter
Check our Rates
   Information Center Norway
Norway General Information
Norway Expatriates Handbook
Useful Numbers
Immigration Information
  Entry Visa
Work Permit
Norway and Foreign Government
Norway General Listings
Norway Useful Tips
Norway Education & Medical
Norway Travel & Tourism Info
Norway Lifestyle & Leisure
Norway Business Matters
  Sponsored Links

Check our Rates

Norway Immigration Information Work Permit


In general, a foreign applicant (the "employee") assigned to work in another country must evidence a degree of proprietary knowledge, specialised skills, or managerial/executive-level skills that are not readily available in the destination country's domestic labour market. In addition, the employee should possess at least a four-year university degree, in addition to at least 12 months of proprietary experience with an affiliate company immediately preceding the transfer to the Norwegian entity.

Exemption from Work Permit

As a general rule, everyone who wishes to work in Norway must have a work permit. Work includes all types of job or commercial activity, paid or unpaid. Below is an overview of the groups which are exempted from the requirement to obtain a work permit.

An EU/EEA citizen is exempted from the requirement to obtain a work permit. An EU/EEA citizen who is an employee, selfemployed person, student or who has sufficient funds to support himself/herself has a right to reside in Norway.

Diplomats do not require a work permit.

The following groups are fully exempted from the requirement to obtain a work permit:

• Nordic citizens;
• Foreign seamen on foreign-registered vessels transporting goods or passengers between Norwegian ports.

The following groups are exempted from the requirement to obtain a work permit, if the work lasts no longer than three months:

• Commercial and business travellers (who will be selling goods at trade fairs);
• Researchers/scholarship holders/lecturers;
• Technical experts providing maintenance of or information about machinery (must notify the police in writing before entering Norway);
• Any foreign national in the private service of any person who is resident in the country on a visit for a period not exceeding 90 days;
• Professional sportsmen and women;
• Public servants paid by their own country, when they come to Norway on the basis of a co-operation agreement between their own country and Norwegian authorities;
• Journalists;
• Tour guides;
• Staff on foreign trains, aircraft, buses or trucks;
• Security and maintenance crew on a ship laid up in the country (must notify the police before entering Norway).

See more information on the next page... (next)





copyrights ©
2019 | Policy